Winter Heating Hazards
The winter season is finally here in Florida, and with it comes shorter days and lower temperatures. In an effort to keep our homes and workplaces cozy, many of us use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters, and wood burning stoves. Did you know heating equipment is the number 1 cause of home fire deaths? According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment fires cause an estimated $1 billion in direct property damage annually. Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of heating-related fire.
- Keep anything flammable at least 3 feet away from heating equipment, like a furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a "kid-free zone" around space heaters.
- Make sure the fire place has a sturdy screen to stop sparks.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off before leaving the room, or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected every year.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
In the unfortunate event that your property suffers fire damage, contact SERVPRO of The Beaches/Ponte Vedra at 904-246-6118.